My husband took two bites of this before he exclaiming "wait is this Mexican pasta?...sweet!!!" I knew he would like this seeing as it's a combination of two of his favorite things, mexican and pasta. What surprised me was how much my two year old liked it. She had three bowls of it (child-size of course) I have a feeling we will be eating this one a lot in our house from now on.
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce
2/3 c. red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded Colby & Monterey Jack cheese
1 c. sour cream (light is fine)
1 pkg. penne pasta (I use whole wheat)
1. Cook chicken, shred and set aside. Cook pasta til al dente according to package directions.
2. In deep skillet heat olive oil and cook onion for about 3-5 minutes. Add peppers and garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
3. Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
4. Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. Now toss in the sour cream, but whatever you do, DO NOT bring to a boil! Cook on low heat or the sour cream will curdle.Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through.
5. Drain pasta & return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. Serve as is (how my hubbie likes it) or garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.