Monday, January 23, 2012

Tangy Barbecue Chicken in a Slow Cooker

These days, it seems like we have so many nights that dinner is almost an afterthought. Between my kids' sports and extracurricular activities, I am sometimes wiped out by dinner time, so I've been using my Crock Pot a lot lately. It's so nice to walk into my home and smell a delicious dinner that's all ready for me! This was an "I have chicken and no idea what to do with it" attempt and I love how it turned out!  I just jotted down the ingredients as I threw them in the Crock Pot and it's one we'll eat again and again. I served it with quinoa, but it would also be great with mashed potatoes or rice. 

1 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2-3 lbs. raw, boneless chicken breasts or tenders (I threw in frozen chicken without thawing first)
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water

Line slow cooker with a Reynold's Slow Cooker liner first for easy clean up. Mix onion and garlic together in the bottom of slow cooker. Top with chicken. Combine remaining ingredients, except cornstarch and cold water, in small bowl and pour over chicken. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours. Remove chicken from crockpot. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Pour into crock pot and stir. Cook on high about 15 minutes until thick. Serve sauce over chicken. Serve with quinoa, mashed potatoes or rice. Serves 5-7, depending on how many chicken breasts you use.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...