Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tamale Pie

I lovvvvvvve tamales and usually order them when I eat at a Mexican restaurant. I was beyond excited to try this fun recipe from Ezra Pound Cake. It's easy and very different than anything I've made before. My whole family loved it and I can't wait to make it again! 

I couldn't find polenta in a roll, so I bought a box of polenta and made it fresh. You can usually find polenta in the Mexican food section at the grocery store. I've also used Giada's recipe, which is easy and inexpensive.

Serves 4 (We got 6 good-sized servings)

1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, with liquid
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels 
1/2 cup salsa 
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground oregano 
1/4 tsp. salt 
12 ounces prepared polenta (I used a box and made it fresh)
3 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped (optional) 
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or an 11-inch baking dish. Set aside. 
  2. Empty the beans into a large bowl, and mash with a potato masher or fork. Add corn, salsa, cumin, oregano and salt. Mix thoroughly, and set aside. 
  3. Slice the polenta roll into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about the thickness of sausage patties). Arrange the rounds in the skillet, slightly overlapping. If using fresh polenta, spread on the bottom of the pan.
  4. Spoon the bean mixture over the polenta, and sprinkle on the cilantro and cheese. 
  5. Cover and bake for 15 minutes, and then uncover and bake for 15 minutes more, until bubbling and hot. For a crisp topping, place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving. Garnish with sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...