Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Potpourri

Some sweet ladies at church today handed me a beautiful cellophane bag, tied with a festive ribbon. Inside was this fragrant concoction. When I returned home, I immediately added it to water and simmered it on my stove and within minutes, my whole house smelled like Christmas. Delicious!!! I really wish I would've taken a photo of the potpourri before I simmered it, but I was too impatient, I guess!

My Mom would often simmer some cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice in a little water on the stove at Christmas and the spicy scent just makes me think of home. Usually, she was preparing her yummy Wassail for a party, but this potpourri would make a unique, (calorie and fat-free!) gift for friends, neighbors or kids' teachers for the holidays.

It does require 3-4 days preparation for the orange peel to dry, so plan accordingly:)

Fresh orange peel (a hand full)
3 cinnamon sticks
12 allspice berries
3 whole star anise
8 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 bay leaves
  1. Tear orange peel into small pieces. Cover with a paper towel and dry completely for 3-4 days. 
  2. Add all other ingredients to dried orange peel in a cellophane bag and it's ready to use yourself or to give as a gift!
TO USE: Add potpourri to 2 cups water and simmer in a saucepan. May be refrigerated and re-used.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...