I've tried 3 different kinds of quick yeast rolls this month and these get my vote for the best! They take about an hour and a half from start to finish. This recipe only makes 8 rolls, but it would be simple to double. My kids love these for lunch sandwiches! Recipe from allrecipes.com
2 Tbs. shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco)
3 Tbs. white sugar
1 cup hot water
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp.)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Grease 8 muffin cups and set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, mix the shortening, sugar and hot water. (I heat for about 35-40 seconds in the microwave). Add yeast to the liquid, mix thoroughly and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Pour liquid into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the beaten egg, salt and flour. Mix until dough begins to pull away from the side of the bowl. Dough should still be slightly sticky.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and scrape the dough into the bowl. Cover and let sit for about 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide the dough into 8 balls and place in greased muffin cups. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake rolls for 8-10 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of a roll comes out clean.
Makes 8 rolls.