Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tomato Oregano Sandwiches


I am happy to say that my little vegetable garden has really taken off this year! Now I have the fortunate dilemma of having TOO many tomatoes. We are eating them 4 times a day around my house and I am sure that we are all overdosing on lycopene! I have been dicing them in omelets, topping casseroles with them, cooking them up in quesadillas, and slicing them up for a snack with a little salt and balsamic vinegar... so good! This simple summer sandwich recipe is my Mom's invention and is our lunch-of-choice as long as there are fresh tomatoes to be had.

Bread
Tomatoes- washed and thickly sliced
Salt and Pepper
Oregano
Sliced Cheese (we prefer Muenster- Trust me and try it...DIVINE!)

Lay out slices of bread on a baking sheet and top with freshly sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano to taste. Top with sliced cheese and place under your broiler for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven and enjoy!


1 comment:

Alli grins said...

Mmmmmmmmm! One of my favorites, and with homegrown tomatoes... Wow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...