Monday, September 12, 2011

"Cowboy" Custard

I made this tonight and thought of my sweet Nana. This is her recipe and my Mom made it for us when we were little. It's a baked custard and I like it hot or cold. My Mom always sprinkled it with nutmeg, but I suppose you could use cinnamon instead. Serves 5-6.

3 slightly beaten eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups scalded milk, cooled
1 tsp. lemon extract
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Nutmeg or cinnamon
  1. Scald milk and let cool. (I put mine in the microwave for about 2 minutes.) 
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Fill a 9 x 13" pan with about an inch and a half of water and set it in the oven.
  3. Combine eggs, sugar and salt. Slowly stir in cooled milk and lemon and vanilla extracts. 
  4. Pour into a casserole dish and set in a pan of hot water. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon, if desired. Bake in a "slow oven" (325 degrees F.) for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Best if cooled for 10-15 minutes before serving. 

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...