Saturday, October 29, 2011

Garden Fresh Salsa


I know that I am a little late in the season for this recipe, but such is the business of my life! In any case, you can still get these veggies for a great deal right now, and the post will always be here for next summer as well!

I have been blessed with an abundance of veggies from my little garden this year and have tried a few different salsa/pico recipes in search of just the right combination. This is what works for me, but I must say that salsa is one of those very personal foods and we all tend to have different preferences. With that in mind, you could always alter some of the amounts in this recipe to fit your personal taste.

4-5 cups diced tomatoes- any variety will work
1 medium onion- finely diced
1/2 cup diced green onion
1 1/2 cups diced chili pepper *
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalepeno pepper**
juice of 2 limes
1-2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili pepper

*I was able to grow some "mild salsa peppers" in my garden that I loved, but I think that these are very close to a basic chili pepper or an Anaheim pepper that you can find in the grocery store. You could use regular green pepper, but these peppers add a lot of flavor to the salsa.

** The jalepeno is optional but it does add some great flavor and actually does not add a ton of heat. When I first tried it, I was worried that it would be too hot for my kids, but they liked it better than without it. If you have never worked with these peppers, just make sure that you wear rubber gloves when handling them and DO NOT touch anything (especially you face). Most of the heat is in the seeds and membranes, so clean them well for a mild heat and leave a little in if you like it spicier.

The key to his recipe is the chopping... and there is a lot of it! Dice all your veggies, and cilantro and save the jalepeno for last and combine them all in a large bowl. Add the lime juice and other seasonings and stir until well combined. Allow to refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Remember that this salsa will actually get more flavorful the longer that it sits and it will save for up to a week in the fridge.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...