Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Cake with Butter Sauce

This is another favorite dessert for cooler weather. I made it yesterday for a baby shower and when I looked up the recipe here.... Gasp!... I hadn't posted it yet! It's full of apples and just tastes like Fall. Recipe from my friend Heather Fenn.

*February, 2012 update: I currently live at 5,290 feet above sea level and I've had better results with this cake when I bake it at 315 degrees F. instead of 325. It still cooks in about the same time, but doesn't brown as quickly and sets nicely in the center. I'd recommend that adjustment, especially if the middle is still wiggly at the end of your baking time :)

Apple Cake
Combine:
     4 cups apples, peeled and chopped
     2 cups sugar
Stir in:
     2 cups all-purpose flour
     1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
     2 tsp. cinnamon
     1 tsp. salt
     1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Combine in a separate bowl, then add to the apple mixture:
     2 eggs
     3/4 cup vegetable oil
     2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.* Pour cake mixture into a greased 9 x 13" pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown and set in the center. Cook the Butter Sauce ingredients in a small saucepan until it comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Sauce will thicken even more while it cools. Serve warm sauce over warm cake. 12 servings.

Butter Sauce:
     1 cup sugar
     1/2 cup butter
     1/2 cup evaporated milk
     1 tsp. vanilla 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...