Thursday, November 10, 2011

Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew


This is another recipe that I've been making for a few years and I can't believe I haven't posted it here yet. This yummy stew is from my friend Jenny from Picky Palate. It's my favorite of all her recipes. We love it!

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups sweet pepper, chopped (I get the big bag from Costco, love them!)*
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced (my kids like it better peeled first)
64 oz. (8 cups) chicken broth
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, scrubbed and cubed into 1 inch pieces
3 Cups cooked quinoa*

4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard*
1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce, I used Cholula (optional)
Kosher Salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley, to taste
1 1/2 Cups fresh parsley, chopped

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, carrots, peppers and zucchini until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes and potatoes. Increase heat to high just until broth starts to boil. Reduce to medium high and cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in quinoa, chicken, dijon mustard, hot sauce and season to taste w/ salt, pepper and Lawry’s. Stir in fresh parsley and simmer until ready to serve.

*Alli's NOTES: To cook quinoa, use 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa and 3 to 3 1/2 cups water. Cook in the microwave (10-12 minutes) or in a small saucepan (20 minutes) or until almost tender. Quinoa will continue to cook when you add it to the soup, so it's best to undercook it a little.

I only use 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard and it seems like plenty. In a pinch, I've also used bell pepper in place of the sweet peppers.

The recipe says 8-10 servings, but it makes 12-15 when I've made this.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...