This is a favorite that our Mom has made since we were little.....
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup sugar*
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed*
1 cup vegetable oil*
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups zucchini, grated
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease and flour 2 large loaf pans (or 8 mini loaf pans or 24 muffin tins). Set aside.
- Stir flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugars, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture. Blend in zucchini and nuts, if desired.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 60 minutes for large loaves, about 20-25 minutes for small loaves or 15-20 minutes for muffins. Bread is done when centers are set and bread is slightly brown.*
- Let cool in pans for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the pans. Turn bread out of pans and cool completely before wrapping in tin foil or placing in an airtight container.
*Less sugar, less fat recipe: Decrease white and brown sugars to 3/4 cup each. Substitute half of the oil for applesauce or non-fat vanilla yogurt.
*High altitude recipe (above 4000 feet): Add a 1/4 cup sour cream to the batter before baking and mix well. Decrease total sugar by about 1/3 cup. Decrease baking times by about 5 minutes.