My husband recently took me out for dinner at The Village Tavern here in Colorado. The food almost made me cry, it was so good! We had Bacon-Wraped Scallops for an appetizer and I've wanted to make them at home ever since. Scallops are a shellfish that have a mild flavor and my kids really like them. I found this recipe by Emeril Lagasse on The Food Network and adapted it to my family. These can either be baked in the oven or grilled...
8 slices applewood or hickory smoked thick-cut bacon
15 large sea scallops, fresh or frozen
2 Tbs. Creole Dry Rub (recipe follows)
5 bamboo skewers
- If using frozen scallops, thaw in warm water for a few minutes.
- Place skewers in warm water for a few minutes to prevent burning when cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425° F or preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut bacon in half. Sprinkle scallops with about 2 Tbs. Creole Dry Rub and wrap each scallop in a half piece of bacon. Thread scallops onto skewers, securing the beginning and ends of the bacon around the scallops. If baking in the oven, place skewers onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. If grilling, place on a large piece of tin foil on a plate.
- Bake in oven for about 12-15 minutes or grill for about 10-12 minutes, turning often, until bacon is slightly crispy. Serves 5 (3 scallops each).
Creole Dry Rub: (makes about 2/3 cup)
2 1/2 Tbs. paprika
2 Tbs. salt
2 Tbs. garlic powder (I use 1 Tbs.)
2 Tbs. white sugar
1 Tbs. black pepper
1 Tbs. onion powder
1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (I omit for my kids)
1 Tbs. dried leaf oregano
1 Tbs. dried thyme