I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE PF Chang's lettuce wraps and I've been craving these for weeks! I found this recipe on Our Best Bites that I adapted to my family's tastes. They can be served as an appetizer, but I actually served them for dinner with some steamed broccoli and rice...
1 pound ground chicken or turkey (or use cooked & shredded chicken or turkey)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, finely minced
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, minced (I used a bit more)
1/2 a head of cabbage, minced (about 3 cups)
3-4 green onions, chopped
1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained & chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 medium lemon, zested & juiced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp. honey
2 tsp. sesame oil (*ln the Asian food section at the market)
1/4-1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1-2 heads lettuce, washed (Bibb, Iceberg or Romaine)
1. Wash lettuce and separate individual leaves on a paper towel to drain. Refrigerate until serving to keep crisp.
2. Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and add garlic & ginger and ground chicken or turkey, breaking up the meat as you cook. (If you have cooked & shredded chicken or turkey, skip to the next step and add meat later). Cook meat until no longer pink. Drain, if necessary.
3. Add mushrooms, cabbage, green onions, water chestnuts and cooked chicken or turkey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently.
4. In the meantime, zest the lemon and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Add soy sauce, honey and sesame oil and stir well. Pour on top of the meat and vegetable mixture, combine and continue cooking until cabbage is softened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
6. Serve the mixture on lettuce leaves and roll up (taco style) to eat. Serve with Dipping Sauce, if desired.
DIPPING SAUCE (Mix together in a small bowl):
2 Tbs. sesame seeds
6 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tb. honey