Friday, March 4, 2011

Cajun Broiled Tilapia

My family recently sampled some tilipia, which is a mild, firm white fish, at Costco. Don't you love it when they have lots of food samples at Costco? I was pleased to find that all of my kids liked the fish and said they would eat it if I bought some. SCORE! My husband and I love fish, and I order it nearly every time we go out to eat because I don't like cooking it at home. First, I really never know how to prepare it and second, I don't like my house to smell like fish!

I am pleased to tell you that this recipe will not make your house smell like fish and it's super fast and easy... I'm talking less than 20 minutes from start to ready to eat! My 8 year old son tasted it and exclaimed, "Mom, it doesn't taste like fish. It tastes like...... MEAT!" I guess thats a good thing! My 3 year old loved it too so I'll be making this often for a quick meal...
Frozen tilapia loins
Grapeseed* or olive oil
CAJUN SEASONING(Emeril Lagasse):
     2 1/2 Tbs. paprika
     2 Tbs. salt
     2 Tbs. garlic powder (I use 1 & 1/2 Tbs.)
     1 Tbs. black pepper
     1 Tbs. onion powder
     1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (I omit for my kids)
     1 Tbs. dried leaf oregano
     1 Tbs. dried thyme
     1 tsp. sugar
  1. Thaw tilapia in the refrigerator for a few hours or place frozen tilapia in a bowl of warm water for about 10 minutes to thaw. 
  2. Move oven rack up to about 5 inches below the broiler (2 slots from the top on my oven). Set oven to broil. 
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil and spray with cooking spray. 
  4. Dry fish and place on baking sheet. Brush fish lightly with oil.
  5. Sprinkle fish with Cajun seasoning and place in the oven under the broiler. Bake for about 5-6 minutes and check often. Broil until fish flakes easily with a fork (mine took about 12 minutes).
*Grapeseed oil is my new favorite oil for high-heat cooking (like broiling). It has a longer shelf life and slightly lower cost than olive oil and a higher smoke point. If you've never used grape seed oil before, you can read more about it HERE.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...