My son requested waffles for dinner tonight (love it!) and my search for a recipe turned up this yummy recipe by Alton Brown. You might just want to have these for dessert!
4 Tbs. butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk (or substitute almost 2 cups milk + 2 Tbs. vinegar)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powders, baking soda, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, melted butter and vanilla, then add the buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix well, then let rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat the waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour waffle batter onto waffle iron and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Close iron and cook until done. (You could omit chocolate chips from cooking and sprinkle on top of waffles after they are cooked.)
- Serve waffles hot with with your choice of butter, maple syrup, sliced bananas, peanut butter, strawberry or raspberry jam or syrup, fresh fruit or whipped cream.