Thursday, March 10, 2011

Steamed cabbage: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

My father-in-law cooks Sunday dinner each week(!) The first time I had cabbage as a side dish was at my husband's house, 15 years ago, when we were dating. He made cabbage and declared it "colon friendly." I wasn't sure what to think! Surprisingly, I loved it and now I make cabbage for my family often. I think it tastes a bit like broccoli, which I also love. With St. Patrick's Day next week, why not give this traditional Irish dish a try?

1 head fresh green cabbage*
salt, pepper & butter, to taste

Wash cabbage and carefully remove stem with a knife. Cut cabbage into 10-12 wedges and place in a steamer over boiling water. Steam for 8-12 minutes, or until fork-tender. Serve with butter, salt and pepper. 

*I head serves about 6 people. Cabbage is easy to save, if you want to use 1/2 a head at a time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...